Monday, August 20, 2007



Starting a Painting: I begin the process of an oil painting with the first wash undercoat. I use warm neutral tones and brush in gestural marks with a windsor newton mob brush. Very abstract, I know. This is one of the most freeing and exciting parts of the painting process for me, because I'm just having fun slopping around paint to upbeat music. I was talking to my friend Nathan Jenson (www.natespace.com) the other night after a last minute art opening at 5619 Gallery that we both participated in... he had reminded me about how he liked to immulate the music with the brush and I had forgotten that I used to use that approach in painting. Inspired by watching him paint later in the evening, I sought to really try to bring back that positive energy and vitality to my work. This piece is one of about 16 pieces I did in this endeavor.

No comments: